The Parent & Family Council advances educational and career opportunities, enhances student life and wellbeing, and promotes William & Mary’s distinctive culture of community, tradition and innovation by investing leadership philanthropic support in the Parents Fund and other university priorities.
As the development board for the Division of Student Affairs, council families make an annual gift of $10,000 or more to the Parents Fund and commit to considering other giving opportunities that reflect their philanthropic capacity and areas of personal passion at William & Mary. Families attend meetings and events with university leaders, and act as advocates for families and effective ambassadors for the university. The Office of Parent & Family Giving helps the Council meet annual fundraising goals, including facilitating opportunities for families to engage in peer outreach and host events that foster a welcoming and inclusive community.
Ways to Support and Engage
- Make a minimum annual gift of $10,000 to the Parents Fund and consider additional support reflective of your personal interests and ability.
- Attend fall and spring PFC meetings.
- Stay informed about student life news and initiatives.
- Help communicate information about university-wide and Student Affairs priorities to families.
- Encourage other families to give to William & Mary by identifying, meeting or soliciting parents who wish to support the university. If willing, make phone calls, draft emails and send letters requesting financial support from parents in partnership with the Parent & Family Giving team.
- Make stewardship calls and send notes to thank Parents Fund donors.
- Host and attend parent receptions, dinners, lectures or other gatherings on campus and in your local community.
- Engage with your local William & Mary community by joining an alumni and parent network, welcoming new families, being a resource to new and prospective parents and making calls to new William & Mary families.
- Provide career connections and learning opportunities for students. Host interns or externs, speak on a panel for Career Development & Professional Engagement or use your network to open doors for students.
- Represent William & Mary at college fairs and connect with your student’s high school guidance counselor to share information from Admission.
- Participate in One Tribe One Day activities.
- Attend two Parent & Family Council meetings annually: scheduled the Friday of Family Weekend and one Friday in the spring.
- Dedicate 5-10 hours per semester to engage in presentations and conversations, do peer-to-peer outreach and attend events.
- Serve a term of at least one year, renewable annually. Or commit to multiple years with a pledge.
Members of the Parent & Family Council enjoy:
- Recognition at the Green & Gold Giving Society level and invitations to special events.
- Firsthand information from the vice president for student affairs and other senior administrators about university priorities.
- Participation in special events and panel discussions during Parent & Family Orientation, Family Weekend and Day for Admitted Students.
- Connection to a strong network of enthusiastic families.
- Honored guest seating during Commencement and an invitation to a special event for senior class PFC families.
- Career Connections, a weekly newsletter shared with the PFC by the university’s chief career officer.